Thursday, September 30, 2010

Altered lampshade

I read a lot of magazines that give decorating ideas and DIY projects and I have often seen painting on fabric to alter cushions, lampshades, etc... but I have always been intimidated and apprehensive about trying it. I have been wrestling with ideas of what to do with this lampshade for weeks now, as the colors in the room it's for are not purple (I previously had it covered in blue/underwater stuff to match my old nursery) I had finally decided to just line the top and bottom with bright pink ribbon and call it a day. That was until I was cleaning my craft area and came across the tan and white craft paint!! I figured it couldn't hurt to try and if I hated it I could just cover it again haha!!

To paint it I masked off the stripes and used an old foundation brush so it would really cover well. After the paint dried I peeled of the masking and there were a few oopsies from where the tape couldn't lie completely flat due to the curvature of the lampshade. So I found ribbon that was thin enough it wouldn't take away from the stripes, but wide enough to cover the mistakes,added a little bow for fun, and voila! Here it is!
the whole she-bang :)

close up of bow

close-up of ribbon

1 comment: